Sunday, July 13, 2008

I Live Strong


I hate running. Hate it. Don't like the way it feels, have trouble justifying a reason for it. No matter how many times I've tried to like it, I just can't seem to get myself to convert. So what would inspire me to run today? Cancer.

Okay, I'll admit it, I didn't run the entire way, but I did run through the finish at the Livestrong Challenge 5K Run/Walk in San Jose. I ran through the survivor lane at the finish line proudly sporting my "survivor" bib which boasted my 11 year win against cancer.

This is the first race for cancer that I've done in a long time. I believe the last one I did was when I was still living in Los Angeles, not long after I finished chemo. But this year, when Ana at Silicon Valley Moms Blog suggested getting a team together, I jumped at it. In addition to all the bike distances, it included a 5K run/walk which sounded just perfect for me.

You know, I don't think about my cancer much any more. It's been 11 years since I finished chemo. Those have been years full of... well, life. Since that time I reconnected with the man who would become my husband, fell in love with him, moved to the Bay Area, got married, made a career shift, had a baby, bought a house, waded through a dizzying IPO, left the workforce, and had another baby. There just hasn't been much time to dwell on cancer. It no longer holds the prominence in my life that it once did. However, every now and again it pushes through to the surface. This weekend was one of those times. Yesterday when I went to pick up my race registration packet, and saw all of these people, both volunteers and participants, dedicated to the cause, I became completely overwhelmed with emotion. All of a sudden I was crying, unable to contain my feelings. And today when I was at the race and saw other survivors, like fellow SVMoms blogger Linsey, I was thoroughly filled with pride.

Cancer picked a fight with me 11 years ago, and I won. Today I picked a fight with cancer for all those who didn't win.

I participated in honor of:
Eli Caccia
Jennifer Goodman Linn

And in memory of:
Amalia Grandy
Aldo Caccia
Divo Petrini
Jim Welch

Thanks to the friends and family who helped me to raise $1,500 for the fight. And thanks to Ana and Linsey for participating with me.

As they say over at the Lance Armstrong Foundation: Go ahead. Pick a fight.

3 comments:

bonggamom said...

Courtney, this was such a moving post. I was honored to be with you yesterday.

mod*mom said...

you're a winner + an inspiration!

i'd be honored to be on your team next year as a survivor (i'm recovering from breast cancer chemo caused congestive heart failure, plus i fell off a 4th of july float last friday + my ankle/foot are still swollen/painful)

NonnaL said...

Courtney, thanks for putting up the good fight 11 years ago---we're so proud of you. Love, Mom and Dad